Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chartogne-Taillet's newest release - Les Barres

This morning I was daydreaming about our visit to Champagne and specifically, Chartogne-Taillet.... thought back to some of the wines we tasted, including the upcoming release of a 100% Pinot Meunier Champagne called Les Barres.

Maybe Alexandre will take a moment and post here, I believe we tasted components of the 2006 vintage (it very well could have been 2005). I also pilfered the label image from his blog, which I've linked to on my page, so hopefully that's OK. :)

In any event, the wine was a revelation for me, the only other 100% Meunier Champagne I had tasted was Egly Ouriet's Les Vignes de Vrignys. Chartogne's Les Barres comes from a single vineyard plot planted with non-grafted vines. If I recall correctly, Alexandre thought the sandy soil prevented phylloxera from taking root. The wine was delicious and distinct, a piquant acidity lifting up the earthy, hearty flavors of orchard fruit. Perhaps reminiscent of a Morey St. Denis in regard to the refreshing funk.

I'm eager to taste this again, so I'll have my eyes peeled.

Also, according to Fine Champagne Magazine, Alexandre plans to release a couple of other single vineyard wines soon, including another 100% Pinot Meunier and a 100% Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment